Thursday 28 April 2011

Hipster or just an asshole?

Hipster or just an asshole?

So I consider for myself a really open minded and intelligent person but I am sick and tired and frankly hurt by my brother’s condicending explanation about each facet of my being. He calls himself a hipster and mocks each small thing i do whether it be how I talk or what movies and music i delight in he seems to feel his taste is far superior and gives him the right to criticize mine.

The reason for my current upset is a conversation that just took house about my dislike for hipsters and my brother’s mind-set. I am attracted in religious conviction and philosophy and recently downloaded the atheist’s bible on my kindle. The argument started because he came in and after seeing the title “atheist bible” remarked ” You reckon you’re so cool produce your an atheist.” To which I took offense and said no, I find it fascinating and when I find something fascinating I look into it, as opposed to letting subculture or trends dictate my wellbeing.

He then stated that he does too and that he just likes to follow trends and enjoys keeping up with hip fashion/trends. I immediatley pointed out the fact that he has gone through many phases in the past few being, from punk to skinhead to gangster and finally hipster, each time changing his likes and dislikes, everywhere he shops, how he acts and how he dresses. I went on to say how I personally choose not to conform to trends and remain an ecclectic who doesn’t let any culture dictate who I am. Also how I don’t see the point of following such rigid guidlines to a subculture such as the “ironic handlebar mustache” he sports, or the fact that he now only wears v-necks and shops exclusively at american apperal, everywhere two being ago he was all about leather jackets and mohawks.

My main point was that I do not subscribe to trends because I see the value of being an individual. Search “hipster” on google, you quickly come up with a list of information as to what clothing, music, movies and even how a hipster should act, though you cannot google my name and come up with a definition, I value that individuality.

Meanwhile he attempted to deny his conformity while he’s standing there with a waxed civil-war mustache, striped v-neck, tight jeans and thick rimmed glasses sporting a pompedour. He claimed that he had all these things because he legitimately liked them and not because “hipsters” wear them.

To cut to the chase, what really upset me was when he continued to tell me that I made no sense and when my mom questioned what we were talking about he said ” I don’t know, Mike’s complaining about how he doesn’t subscribe to anything, he doesn’t make any sense.” The lack of respect is what really hurt for me. I never once during the argument claimed to be right, my main point was that I personally do not see the point of subscribing to a specific trend because something that tells me how to dress and act goes against who I am as an individual.

Am I overreacting and being too sensitive or was I rightly offended by his rudeness and insensitivity to my opinion?

Answer by anonymous
No hes just being an asshole. He will doubtless grow out of this trend like his others. It sounds like you are the more genuine “hipster”

Answer by Walks at Night
Ancient saying “Just because you are related to someone, doesn’t mean you have to like them”.

Answer by Robust Public Option
Hipster to be sure. No question about it. Asshole? HARDLY! That’s my highly-considered opinion!

Answer by jimmy831831
People are…. all of them are different, doesn`t matter if you`re related or not. You are being your own person, pursuing your wellbeing, I don`t reckon you should be offended by your brother, you just need to value your way of living lonely, before you add his emotions to the mix. He`s just an individual, and so are you.
The only thing he subscribed to in your tale is a handlebar mustache. Not bashing, just saying possibly he`s not the best judge. Dude you questioned your question so properly (long lol) but I can tell you`re a excellent guy. I promise you also I can tell that you should be more assertive. That`s my answer, be more assertive!

Answer by dreaming of a transhuman future
You are an individualist and a freethinker, while your brother is more of a conformist. Congrats. That makes you the more mature one. Unfortunately, mature and intelligent people often have to place up with a lot of pettiness and stupidity around them.

I suspect that at least on a subconscious level, your brother has a bit of envy for you. Here he is defining himself according to those he surrounds himself with, whereas you are living your own life and pursuing your own wellbeing.

I can’t really offer much in the way of advice for how to deal with your brother, but here’s a few tips.
DO try to grow a thick skin.
DON’T renovate a superiority complicated (even though you may be ;) .
DO try to handle situations and conflicts with humor and/or mellowness.
DON’T go looking for a fight.
DO be willing to share your wellbeing with your brother, *if* he expresses interest.
DON’T criticize him in a way that just perpetuates a “me vs. him” mindset between the two of you.

Your brother still has some settling down to do in terms of finding a lifestyle he can stick to. Be patient with him. In a few being everything will be different, you’ll both have grown as human beings, and hopefully you can be brothers instead of arch-enemies. :-)

Give your answer to this question below!

Top Ten Trends Argument
google music trends search

Image by jurvetson
A rare reaction from competitive colleagues at the Churchill Club this evening….

I had just open the first trend, and grabbed the camera for the reaction on stage.

We each suggest trends, and then vote red or conservational, which usually leads to a lively argument.

I went for a U.S. promote trend and a geek trend (and tried not to overlap with last year's predictions):

Trend #1: Demographics are destiny, making opportunity. Each 11 seconds, a baby boomer turns 60. This Internet-savvy cohort represents an giant promote of time and money, pouring new opportunities in "mental exercise", online education, and eventually, an "eBay for information" that exceeds the promote for physical goods.

Trend #2: Evolution Trumps Design. Many fascinating unsolved problems in computer science, nanotechnology, and synthetic ecology require the construction of complicated systems. Evolutionary algorithms are a powerful alternative to traditional design, blossoming first in neural networks, now in microbial re-engineering, and eventually in AI.

Vinod Khosla:

Trend #1: The device that used to be a phone. A mobile phone will turn into a mainstream computer. Beyond email, built in projection screen, and high speed data will make it your virtual credit card, ID (passport), access to new types of presence (IM), payment system, personal information filing system, and much much more.

Trend #2: Fossilizing fossil energy. Oil will have increasing difficulty competing with biofuels made from cheap non-food crops for moving. Coal will be converted into less competitive compared to reliable solar thermal and enhanced geothermal electricity as both oil and coal's decline will be aided by higher efficiency engines, cars, lighting, appliances.

Josh Kopelman:

Trend #1: The rise of the "Implicit" Internet. Historically, the web delivered most of its value by satisfying explicit user actions – a user entered a search query on Google, a user entered a review on Yelp, a user added their friends on Facebook.

Though, as people spend more time online (and perform more of their activities online), they are leaving a trail of "digital breadcrumbs" exposing data about themselves. The result is an immense quantity of implicit data on a user. Netflix knows what movies I watch and like. Apple knows what music I buy and listen to…

Though, in anticipation of now that data has existed in silos. There has been no simple way for me (as a user) to access and benefit from that data. The next huge wave of Internet value creation will come to those companies that can deliver value based on the implicit use of these data sources – by taking advantage of these unfilled data repositories in novel ways.

Trend #2: Venture Capital 2.0. Venture Capital has underwritten most of the transformative software and Internet companies for the last twenty being. Though, changing economics (for both startups and venture funds) combined with changing markets, will have a dramatic impact on the venture capital industry.

Joe Schoendorf:

Trend #1: Water tech will replace global warming as a global priority.
The world is running out of usable water and this will kill millions more people in our lifetime than global warming.

Trend #2: 80% of the world population will carry mobile internet devices within 5-10 being. Mobile internet devices are rapidly becoming THE leading product category.

Roger McNamee:

Trend #1: The mobile device industry's migration from feature phones to smart phones will produce even greater disruption than what the PC industry experienced as it went from reputation-mode to graphical interfaces. It will disrupt the competitive balance, with huge promote share shifts. Consumers will benefit from greater choice and lower prices.

Trend #2: Within five being, everything that matters to you will be available on a device that fits on your belt or in your purse. This will produce a massive shift in internet traffic from PCs to less vital devices.

So I consider for myself a really open minded and intelligent person but I am sick and tired and frankly hurt by my brother’s condicending explanation about each facet of my being. He calls himself a hipster and mocks each small thing i do whether it be how I talk or what movies and music i delight in he seems to feel his taste is far superior and gives him the right to criticize mine.

The reason for my current upset is a conversation that just took house about my dislike for hipsters and my brother’s mind-set. I am attracted in religious conviction and philosophy and recently downloaded the atheist’s bible on my kindle. The argument started because he came in and after seeing the title “atheist bible” remarked ” You reckon you’re so cool produce your an atheist.” To which I took offense and said no, I find it fascinating and when I find something fascinating I look into it, as opposed to letting subculture or trends dictate my wellbeing.

He then stated that he does too and that he just likes to follow trends and enjoys keeping up with hip fashion/trends. I immediatley pointed out the fact that he has gone through many phases in the past few being, from punk to skinhead to gangster and finally hipster, each time changing his likes and dislikes, everywhere he shops, how he acts and how he dresses. I went on to say how I personally choose not to conform to trends and remain an ecclectic who doesn’t let any culture dictate who I am. Also how I don’t see the point of following such rigid guidlines to a subculture such as the “ironic handlebar mustache” he sports, or the fact that he now only wears v-necks and shops exclusively at american apperal, everywhere two being ago he was all about leather jackets and mohawks.

My main point was that I do not subscribe to trends because I see the value of being an individual. Search “hipster” on google, you quickly come up with a list of information as to what clothing, music, movies and even how a hipster should act, though you cannot google my name and come up with a definition, I value that individuality.

Meanwhile he attempted to deny his conformity while he’s standing there with a waxed civil-war mustache, striped v-neck, tight jeans and thick rimmed glasses sporting a pompedour. He claimed that he had all these things because he legitimately liked them and not because “hipsters” wear them.

To cut to the chase, what really upset me was when he continued to tell me that I made no sense and when my mom questioned what we were talking about he said ” I don’t know, Mike’s complaining about how he doesn’t subscribe to anything, he doesn’t make any sense.” The lack of respect is what really hurt for me. I never once during the argument claimed to be right, my main point was that I personally do not see the point of subscribing to a specific trend because something that tells me how to dress and act goes against who I am as an individual.

Am I overreacting and being too sensitive or was I rightly offended by his rudeness and insensitivity to my opinion?

Answer by Daniel Tremblay
I didn’t finnish it. It takes two to bicker ! Glad I have my own house !

Answer by Eli.K
You are both overreacting and both being sensitive.
You can believe me now that these conversations are pointless and circular and just cut them when they start. Or you can continue the hard way.

You are two different people with two different world views and have found two different ways of “being” that make you pleased. He defines himself as a hipster and you define yourself as eclectic. He feels that you reckon your way of being is superior to his, and that hurts his pride. And doubtless vice versa. He doesn’t reckon like you do. What you say DOESN’T make sense to him. So either he is incorrect or you are incorrect. So you set out to PROVE each other incorrect.
But neither of you are incorrect!! So stop the insanity. Stop trying to one up each other. It is all beyond pointless.
You can either continue to engage in this childish competition, and doubtless hurt your relationship long term. Or, you can be the mature guy you reckon you are, and be the one to disengage when this sort of competition starts.

You must learn to let it go, and not attempt to force him to reckon you are right. You have to learn to say…
You’re right, you have a point. And go back to your homework. If he is being belligerent, you say
“You’re right, you’re right, you’re absolutely right. and disengage.

Saying anything else is completely pointless. Because the argument is completely pointless.

Answer by blisterine
You may be a small sensitive, but I would feel upset also.

I suggest you do whatever makes you pleased and don’t waste time or energy defending your actions and choices to your brother. I’m assuming he’s younger than you based on how he seems to act, and he’s clearly delusional when he tries to “deny his conformity.” Hipsters suck and since he’s a hipster he’s doubtless just a dumbass.

What do you reckon? Answer below!
Apple iTunes cloud streaming gets approval from Warner Music Group
Amazon may have been the first huge music retailer to deploy a cloud based music service, but Apple may be still one step ahead of Google in releasing its own. Reports have come out that Warner Music Group has approved Apple’s streaming music plans for iTunes. Read the full tale here.
Read more on Mobile Burn

Google Tech Discussion Dignified 23, 2006 Silicon Valley Web Guild www.webguild.org Presenters: Michael Yang, Founder, President and CEO, Be converted into.com Gautam Godhwani, President, Simply Hired Suranga Chandratillake, Founder & CTO, Blinkx ABSTRACT What is it vertical search? It is search all ears on a specific vertical. Vertical search engines mine data for one specific niche of the promote house — for example, travel, jobs, hotels, music, movies, and even health care. As web sites and data proliferate, the task of locating specific information gets tougher. Vertical search engines provide an efficient way to get to that information. Verticals are very different from domain specific portals…


No comments:

Post a Comment